Northern Ireland department with responsibility for roads and public transport.
The Department for Infrastructure (DfI) is one of nine Northern Ireland Departments.
The main responsibilities of the Department are:
- regional strategic planning and development policy
- transport strategy and sustainable transport policy
- public transport policy and performance
- road safety and vehicle regulation policy, including strategies to reduce the number of people killed or seriously injured on our roads
- driver and operator licensing and driver and vehicle testing
- provision and maintenance of all public roads
- certain policy and support work for air and sea ports
- river and sea defence maintenance and the construction of flood alleviation schemes
- provision of flood maps and risk information
- policy on water and sewerage services and management of the Department’s shareholder interest in Northern Ireland Water
Formerly the Department for Regional Development.