World Heritage Site
The Giant’s Causeway and Causeway Coast site was inscribed as a World Heritage Site (WHS) by the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organisation (UNESCO) in 1986. The site is of outstanding universal value and meets two of the 10 criteria set out in the World Heritage Convention, namely it:
- is an outstanding example representing major stages of the earth’s history, including the record of life, significant on-going geological processes in the development of landforms, or significant geomorphic or physiographic features.
- contains superlative natural phenomena or areas of exceptional natural beauty and aesthetic importance.
As it is a public agency producing spatial data for environmental applications, many of NIEA's operations fall under the INSPIRE Directive for providing an infrastructure for sharing geographical spatial data across Europe.
The datasets that can be downloaded here are only digital boundaries - there is no background mapping. The digitising is based on Land & Property Services (LPS) / Ordnance Survey of Northern Ireland (OSNI) maps and they can supply vector and raster maps for background mapping for Northern Ireland.
- This data can be used by Geographical Information Systems (GIS), such as ArcGIS (60-days free trail), the ArcGIS Explorer app (free) and QGIS (free).
- The datasets are available as zipped shapefiles which is the file format used by ArcView.
- If you have any problems reading these files, please contact [email protected].
- Shapefiles can be read by most GIS packages, look in the Help section of your software on how to import them.
These files are based on Irish National Grid (TM75 - EPSG:4300) projections. Some GIS packages allow you to translate between different projections. If you need the data in a different projection, check to see if your GIS package can re-project one of the datasets, or use Grid InQuest converter.
Use of the datasets
Please note that by downloading the digital datasets, you will be accepting the Terms and Conditions.
Data and Resources
Dataset InfoThese fields are compatible with DCAT, an RDF vocabulary designed to facilitate interoperability between data catalogs published on the Web.
Other (Not Open)
|Spatial / Geographical Coverage Area (WKT)|
POLYGON ((-8.16926 55.4436, -5.08667 55.4436, -5.08667 53.8702, -8.16926 53.8702, -8.16926 55.4436))
|Spatial / Geographical Coverage Location|