Sub-regional Health Inequalities
The Northern Ireland Health & Social Care Inequalities Monitoring System (NIHSCIMS) collects data on a wide range of health measures for the purposes of comparing inequalities in health.
These measures are collated at the regional level (for Northern Ireland as a whole) as well at the sub-regional level, i.e. within:
- Health and Social Care Trusts
- Local Government Districts (new districts from 2014)
Deprivation is used as the measure of inequality (see the Northern Ieland Multiple Deprivation Measures). Health outcomes in the 20% most deprived Super Output Areas (SOAs) within a Trust of LGD area are compared to health outcomes for that area as a whole. The percentage difference between these two measures is known as the 'inequality gap' which exists within that area. The gap between the Trust/LGD area and the Northern Ireland regional level is also included.
The following health outcome indicators are monitored:
- Life expectancy*
- Premature and preventable mortality measures
- Hospital admission rates (emergency, elective and day)
- Circulatory diseases admission, death, and prescription rates
- Respiratory diseases admission and death rates
- Cancer incidence and death rates
- Alcohol, smoking and drugs admission and death rates
- Mental health (self harm) admission, suicide and prescription rates
- Public safety (fire and ambulance response times)
- Pregnancy and early years (infant mortality, teenage pregnancy, low birth weights, etc)
- Childhood obesity and dental registration
- Fire and Ambulance response times
Data and Resources
- HSCIMS Sub-regional inequalities tables 2017xlsx
By HSC Trust and 2014 Local Government District
- NI Health & Social Care Inequalities Monitoring System - Sub-regional Report 2017pdf
This report presents an analysis of health inequality gaps within health and...
- HSCIMS Sub-regional inequalities tables 2015xlsx
Statistics on a number of measures of health inequality and inequality gaps...
- NI Health & Social Care Inequalities Monitoring System - Sub-regional Report 2015pdf
This report presents an analysis of health inequality gaps within Health and...
Dataset InfoThese fields are compatible with DCAT, an RDF vocabulary designed to facilitate interoperability between data catalogs published on the Web.
|Spatial / Geographical Coverage Area (WKT)|
POLYGON ((-8.16926 55.4436, -5.08667 55.4436, -5.08667 53.8702, -8.16926 53.8702, -8.16926 55.4436))
|Spatial / Geographical Coverage Location|
HSCT Trust, LGD
Public Health Information & Research Branch, Information Analysis Directorate