Adult Reoffending in Northern Ireland
- The data was first published by the Department of Justice on 19 December 2014.
- Statistical coverage is restricted to those criminal convictions in which the PSNI was involved.
- Prosecutions brought by government departments, public bodies and private individuals are not included.
In Northern Ireland the main data source used to measure reoffending rates is supplied to the Department of Justice’s Analytical Services Group from the Causeway Data Sharing Mechanism (DSM1).
The information used is primarily created from an extract of records held on the Criminal Records Viewer (CRV). The CRV is held on Causeway and utilises data which originated from PSNI, along with data from Northern Ireland Courts and Tribunals Service. Causeway is an interconnected information system, launched as a joint undertaking by the Criminal Justice Organisations (CJOs) in Northern Ireland.
Information is also provided from the Northern Ireland Prison Service (NIPS) case management system (PRISM) and the Youth Justice Agency regarding releases from custody. Information on these offenders is matched to information taken from CRV.
- The cohort is made up of all adults who have been given a non-custodial disposal at court, a diversionary disposal or who have been released from custody during the financial year 2011/12:
- An adult is defined as someone aged 18 or over at the time of disposal or release from custody.
- Custody includes only those released from custody following the completion of a sentence and excludes fine defaulters, those bailed or released following a period on remand, subject to extradition or transfer to another secure hospital facility.
An offence is counted as a reoffence if it:
- occurs within the one year observation period.
- has been committed within Northern Ireland.
- is prosecuted via the PSNI and not a third party (e.g. DSD can bring some cases of benefit fraud).
- is not a breach offence (e.g. breach of a probation order).
- has been ‘proven’, meaning that a court conviction or diversionary disposal has been imposed by the end of the 6 month follow up period.
Data and Resources
Dataset InfoThese fields are compatible with DCAT, an RDF vocabulary designed to facilitate interoperability between data catalogs published on the Web.
Licence Not Specified
|Spatial / Geographical Coverage Area (WKT)|
POLYGON ((-8.22876 55.3604, -5.33936 55.3604, -5.33936 53.9884, -8.22876 53.9884, -8.22876 55.3604))
|Spatial / Geographical Coverage Location|
Department of Justice Analytical Services Group (ASG)